INTRODUCTION ABOUT THE TOPIC
A BIKE (also called a motor bicycle, motorbike, motorcycle, or cycle) is a single-track, two-wheeled motor vehicle. Motorcycles vary considerably depending on the task for which they are designed, such as long distance travel, navigating congested urban traffic, cruising, sport and racing, or off-road conditions.
BIKES are the most affordable form of motorised transport in many parts of the world, and for most of the world’s population, they are also the most common type of motor vehicle. There are around 200 million BIKES (including mopeds, motor scooters and other powered two- and three-wheelers) in use worldwide, or about 33 motorcycles per 1000 people.
There are three major types of Bikes:
- Dual purpose.
INTRODUCTION ABOUT THE BIKE
InThis Term Paper My Work is to open a topic i.e. BIKE. SO, by first I want to decide the following steps:-
NAME OF THE BIKE: “ALIGATOR”
TAG LINE: “FACE THE CHALLENGE”
LOCATION: In Industrial area GANGYAL, JAMMU.
FACE THE CHALLENGE….
FEATURES OF ALIGATOR:
Engine: Air-cooled single cylinder 4 stroke OHC
Displacement: 223 cc
Maximum Power: 12.68 KW (17 PS) @ 7000 RPM
Maximal Torque: 18.35 N-m @ 6000 RPM
Acceleration: 0 – 60 Kmph in 3.8 Seconds
Gear Box: 5 Speeds
Brakes: 276mm Front Disc and 130 mm Rear Drum
Tires: Front: 2.75 x 18 – 42P, Rear: 100/90 x 18 – 56P
Fuel Capacity: 15 Litres (+ 2 Litres Reserve)
Motorcycle Models in India:
The leading Motorcycle manufacturers in India like Hero Honda, Bajaj, TVS and Yamaha are more concerned to provide many efficient and comfortable Bikes without spoiling the fun and thrill of riding.
Popular Motorcycle Segments in India :
100 cc bikes
Hero Honda CD-Dawn
Hero Honda CD Deluxe
Hero Honda Passion Plus
Hero Honda Splendor
Yamaha Libero G5
150 – 500 cc Bikes:
Bajaj Pulsar DTS FI 220
Hero Honda Achiever
Hero Honda CBZ Extreme
Hero Honda Hunk
Hero Honda Karizma
Kawasaki Ninja 250
TVS Apache RTR FI 160s
TVS Fiero FX
TVS 180 RTR Menace
Yamaha FZ 16
ALIGATOR belongs to 150-500 cc categories because it is 223 cc bike and its features looks like a sports bike.
The IMC Plan:
An IMC plan is a blueprint of the complete marketing communications program for a brand. It is a formal document that evaluates the background of the brand and presents a set of guidelines and an action program for the advertising and promotions campaign. The planning model is shown in Figure 1-4 in the text. The IMC plan for this project will be for the market specified by your instructor and will cover one calendar year.
In situational analysis we focus on the market conditions in this we first of all do market research because there are already existing product in the market like bikes of the following companies:
- Hero Honda
So all these companies have different models of bikes like lower to higher model to survive in the market. We want to do something different and the good quality product in the cheapest rate.
Automobile industry of India can be broadly classified under passenger vehicles, commercial vehicles, three wheelers and two wheelers, with two wheelers having a maximum market share of more than 75%. Automobile companies of India, Korea, Europe and Japan have a significant hold on the Indian market share. Motorcycles top the charts of two wheelers with Hero Honda being the key player. Bajaj by far is the number one manufacturer of three wheelers in India.
Product strength :
- Driving pleasure.
- Good in style, mileage, performance and safety.
- Giant look( attract macho-loving ones)
- Different design in comparison to other bikes.
- Stability in high speed also.
Aligator is a unique in itself as it serves dual purpose but the biggest competitor is Hero-Honda. It has edge in case of price more over its popularity. To beat it either price should be lower or very aggressive promotions are required.
People in India prefer strong and stable Bikes because of roads and other geographic reasons. Moreover they are sensitive about price also. So Aligator is Bike that is strong, stable and affordable.
Aligator is promoting itself very well. The main message is delivered always show the major characteristic of the bike. By saying “Face the Challenge” we relate the image of the bike to the macho personalities. They are using all the possible sources to promote the product.
In consumer survey we categorized the consumer in two different forms:
- Young (18 to 30)
- Middle (31 to 47)
According to the demand we can make the bike features because young mostly prefer heavy engine bike or fastest bike and its look like according to the expectations of the consumers.
Middle ages people only preferred bike that are of good mileage and not heavy engine like splendor, passion etc.
In my opinion the ALIGATOR looks like a dashing sports bike and mileage also good that consumer want also but it is made according to the consumer survey or demand of youth’s.
The competitive analysis is based on the market. There are also existing companies in the market and it gives a great competition to our company that is newly launch because my product deals with the sports bike look and there are also different models of bikes of other companies that deals in sports to mileage bike.
Existing sport bikes are:
- Hero Honda Karizma (ZMR,ZMR-fi)
- Yamaha (R15,FZ)
- Bajaj (pulsar)
SEMENTATION, TARGETING AND POSITIONING
- Demographic segmentation will be one of the ways. In this gender and age will be very important part. Aligator have a macho image which shows that it is mainly for men. In case of age it is basically for youth.
- Another method which will be used for segmenting the market for Aligator will be psychographic segmentation. In these lifestyle and personal traits will play a major role? In case of personal traits it shows that it fits with the personality of those who have macho look and are very fit. Consumers may exhibit various lifestyles, so the segmented market will be consumer who is leading sports oriented, busy and hi-tech lifestyle because this bike is strong, stable and advanced.
- Segmentation will be done on the basis of benefit that consumers are seeking for. Basic for that will be strong look, affordability, mileage.
Young men in between age of 18 years-45 years having above average income, who like to be stylish in different way than others and are rational are being targeted.
- Attribute positioning will be the major one in this the macho image of the product will be promoted. Its strong look will be positioned in the mind of the people in such a way that whenever name strong bike are taken into consideration Aligator should come in consumers mind.
- Benefit position will be done by showing the driving pleasure and looks.
- User positioning can be done as this Bike is for youngsters.
- Aligator is strong, stable and affordable bike, so positioning can be done on the basis of quality and price.
Points in favour of outsourcing
- Fewer efforts required by the company.
- Time saving.
Points not in favour of outsourcing
- Secrets can be shared
- Other company may have other important projects because of which they can be ignorant.
According to me, some part of promotions should be outsourced and some should remain with the company. In that case only some specific information needs to be revealed and moreover company is directly involved in all the process by which they have control over whatever is going. Company should outsource the following things:-
- Creative boutique: – creativity is one thing in promotions that attract the customers first and then they start thinking about the product and collect the information. So they should outsource it so that the message should be structured in such a way that attract the customer and give all the information that needs to be there in such a way that potential customers get it easily.
- Media planning and buying: – media planning is very important aspect because if right media is not planned then promotional campaign may not reach the targeted market. Moreover agencies specialized in it have all the information about media, its compensation etc.
Criteria for selecting the agencies
The main way by which I would prefer to select the agencies is that companies will be short listed on the basis of experience, success rate and budget. After that they would be asked to prepare a presentation and a report that how they will make the advertisement or how they will plan media etc. after that company will be selected.
Agency compensation will be 5% of the total revenue earned because of that campaign
Evaluation of performance of the agency
- Survey will be done to know the response of the customers. Survey can be done by going to people and asking about the question like their perception about the ad. And where they have seen the ad etc.
- Company should check the reach, coverage and frequency to evaluate media planning agency.
- Sales can be another way to see the performance.
- Online feedback about the advertisement will also be taken into consideration.
Public relations, sales promotion and direct response are very important. Company should have good public relation so that they can build a trust in the customers mind. Additional benefits always attract the customer so sales promotion is very important aspect but it is very important that sales promotional activities should be launched at right time and of right amount. Feedback or response of the customers is also very necessary, because this gives the state of mind of the customer as well as customer feels that company cares about the him and not only about selling the product. So I would recommend that company should use direct-response agencies, sales promotion agencies and public relations agencies.
CONSUMER DECISION MAKING
Bike is a low involvement product, which means that consumer will follow a quick decision making process.
Socio culture environment
Purchasing Bike involve investment of sufficient amount. So here purchase decision will be effected by society also. Opinion of family will matter a lot, if family do not like a particular brand then the consumer may not buy it.
Other way of information might be from the people who are using other bikes already. They can spread positive as well as negative world of mouth and consumer will be affected by that.
Reference group can also play a vital role; consumer may discuss all the alternatives with friends or colleagues.
Opinion leaders in the society may affect the decision because according to consumer opinion leader is having all the information and he can give right suggestion.
The process which will be followed will be:-
- Need recognition: first of all consumer will recognize the need. It might be he already needs a sporty look bike, need a personal mode of transportation etc.
- Information search: now consumer is aware of the need now he will search for information regarding all the alternatives available in the market. Information collected might be on mileage, looks, safety, price etc. He will consider Aligator as well its competitors.
- Evaluation of alternatives: now consumer is having sufficient information of all the available alternatives, now he will compare them on various parameters which are important for him. Attributes which might be important at the alternative evaluation stage are :
- Previous performance
- Company image
Factors that motivates purchase:
- Engine power
Perception about the product and previous learning also play an important role.
Post decision behaviour
Because bike is low involvement product so consumers generally prefer to have trial drive so that they can experience all that which is promoted or promised.
Then consumers make purchase decision.
- Post purchase evaluation
Then consumer make post purchase evaluation, here they will decide whether they are satisfied or not and they will also spread world of mouth.
SOURCE, MESSAGE AND MEDIUM
The Bike is having macho personality so source would be such who is famous for as macho men.
The options available in celebrities are
- John Abrahim
- Salman Khan
- Sanjay dutt.
In case of Salman Khan he is promoting very less brands so people can easily retain Aligator. John Abrahim is very popular in youth for his muscles. Sanjay dutt can relate to customer of any age.
But Sanjay dutt is having criminal record so he should not be selected; John Abrahim is already promoting many brands so customers may get confused and also the brand ambassador of YAMAHA.
So, the best option for celebrity is Salman Khan.
Message would be such which promotes the strength of the Bike. In case of using appeal sex and pleasure appeal will be used. In case of sex appeal people will be attracted towards you because of your bike.
- Television will be the most important medium because company wants to show the strength of the product, its body etc so for that audio effects and most importantly video effects are required.
- This bike is for young men who can easily access to internet to search for information so internet is another attractive medium.
- Bill boards and hoardings will be used as an individual spends 1/3 of the day outside the home so outdoor media is very important to tell the customer about the product company is offering.
- Special magazines of automobiles and magazines famous in youth will be used as a medium.
- Showrooms which are having various brands, company can promote through them as they can give more information about Aligator.
- To make 90% of the target audience aware about the product within 2 months.
- To generate interest in the product of 70%target audience.
- Within 2 months 50% customer should believe that Aligator is better than other available options.
- To make 40% target audience to react either by collecting more information or by purchasing it.
It have four levels that is awareness that means people should be aware that this brand or product exist in the market, comprehension says that what is product all about, conviction means that customer should think about purchasing the product and action when customer actually buy the product.
IMC satisfy the criteria of DAGMAR as 1st objective is about spreading awareness, 2nd and 3rd is about comprehension and 4th is about conviction and action.
Advertising will be used to promote the product. Ads will be done through broadcast, out of home media, print media and unconventional media. In broadcast media mainly TV, cinema and Radio will be used. In out of home media bill board, hoardings, posters will be medium and in print media newspapers, magazine, pamphlet etc will be used in case of unconventional media sponsorships will be there.
Advertising is the main Promotional mix element which will be used as the source of the “big idea” around which IMC program will be developed.
Other promotional mix elements that will support IMC program are:
- Company will provide various facilities as sales promotion activity like free seat covers or discount on other accessories etc.
- Direct selling will be another way of promotion in which telephonic promotion or promotion through credit card bills will be there.
- Company will use internet as a mode of promotion in this search engine optimization, banner ads, mails, pop up, videos on you tube etc will be the way of promotions.
- Bike will be promoting through publicity like road shows comparing two bikes, positive word of mouth.
To design IMC budget I would use objective-and-task budget. As objectives are already defined and all the methods and medium of promoting the bike are also decided. Now on the basis of objectives and tasks to be performed company will decide upon the budget.
There are no specific seasons to buy a bike so ads will be given for whole of the year in continuity.
- TV ad rs 5 crore (both at prime and non prime time)
- Radio ads rs 1 crore
- Print ad 50 lakh
- Out of home media 1 crore
- Internet 1 crore
- Sales promotion rs 1 crore
- Direct selling rs 50 lakh
- Total budget per year rs 10 crore.
ADVERTISING COMPONENT OF IMC PLAN
In strategic option company will select product -centred strategy, because IMC plan will mainly focus on product, it features, its image, its comparison with other brands. So all the ads will be dependent on features of the bike. For example ad will showing its stability while driving at high speed etc?
For Aligator brand image strategic approach will be used. In this strategy company will show the masculine brand image of the bike and will show how it is different from other bikes.
To position the bike as a strong and muscular look.
Whatever geographic conditions are, bike is as new as it was at the time of purchasing.
A muscular celebrity is driving the bike on very rough road at very high speed, playing adventurous games and still the bike and the person is safe. This shows that bike is stable and strong.
This ad campaign will reach target audience through all the decided mediums.
Company will use both rational and emotional appeal in the advertisement. In case of rational all the uses of the bike will be shown its looks, mileage, pick up etc and in emotional it will be shown that people who use Aligator are always centre of attraction for everyone.
First of all advertisement will be showing the facts about the bike, there will be demonstration that before and after the rough ride bike is still having same strength and efficiency.
Aligator will also be shown as personality symbol as it is a macho bike so it suit the personality ad macho men.
Scientific evidences can also be used to show the strength of the bike by telling about the material used and pressure it can handle.
- Selected media should reach all the target audience at least once.
- Selected media should be able to leave an impact on the mind of at least 95% target audience.
- 80% target market should retain the ad such a media should be selected.
ROLE OF TELEVISION
- Television is the most important medium of promoting Aligator because company wants to show all the feature of the bike, which is possible by the medium of television because it reaches to the mass.
- As target market is youth and men television easily reach them.
- Audio visual always leave better impact on the mind, which leads to better retention.
- Majorly ads will be given on sports channels, channels famous in families star plus, Sony, colors, Zee TV and channel famous among youth like Mtv, Vtv.
- Main focus will be on prime time but ads will be given on other timing also but at lesser frequency.
- This will help to spread awareness about the product, by which company can achieve one of the objective.
- Local channels will not be taken into consideration much because they do not reach to mass population and bike is such a product which is to be promoted in whole of the India.
ROLE OF RADIO
- When customers are not in front of television they might be outside the home or doing some work listening to music on radio, so it will be effective way of promoting.
- Although it does not have visual effect but whenever ad on radio comes it reminds the person of that particular ad.
- Target market is such that almost every one of them has reach to radio.
- By reinforcing company can actually help customers to retain the knowledge about the product this will help to achieve the objectives of the company.
ROLE OF MAGZINES AND NEWSPAPERS
- As we have already decided that auto mobile magazine and magazines famous in youth will be used for promotions. So this will reach the target audience
- Target audience is youth, so we can assume that they are educated, so magazine is a good way of promoting the product.
- In Magazines Company can add a poster of the bike, through which the customer will always remember by watching the bike in his house or office or at any other place.
- In newspapers advertisement ad can be given on different pages giving all the information about the product.
- Through magazine and newspaper we can provide with more information by comparisons or articles of the bike which will help company to achieve the ultimate objective.
- Money to be paid is already decided in the budget.
- When company provides sponsorship for an event, the event carries logo on flexes,
- T-shirts, poster etc this is a way that how company can promote itself.
- The cost will vary from event to event but according to me company should fix target of rs 1 crore that have to give for sponsorship and decision that to whom to give will lie in hand of marketing head of a particular branch.
- Aligator can also be promoted through exhibition, like in international or national auto fair.
- Providing good customer service is also a way of unconventional media, because it leads to customer satisfaction, which leads to either repurchase or positive word of mouth.
- To provide more detail information to the potential customers
- To promote through internet by various means.
- To create a user friendly website
Design of the website
- Website should be user friendly.
- There will be an option available to know about the company.
- Information should be available in few clicks.
- All the details of available showrooms will be given.
- All the details to contact the company will be give
- Blogs for the customers will be there through which customer can put their views online which promotes public relations.
- Surveys regarding Aligator.
Sales promotions objectives are:
- To show the customer that company is proving additional value to the customer in same price.
- To motivate the customers to prep on the purchase decision to enjoy the offers.
Use of sales promotion in IMC
- Additional benefits will give an edge.
- Customers always spend to save money, so if they are getting discount or free of cost some accessories they would take Aligator into consideration and will give more priority.
- It is easy to measure the results.
- As it is easy to design sales promotion campaign can be launched in lesser time.
Consumer sales promotions
- Price off will be given on some accessories like seat covers, leg guards etc.
- Lucky draws will also be there.
- Consumer contests can also be done and attractive prices can be given.
- Coupon system will also be there in which price off, gifts etc will be given.
- Dealer contests will be conducted.
- After reaching a particular amount of sales gifts will be given to the dealers.
Sales force promotions
- Star awards will be given who have performed extra ordinarily.
Through sales promotions customers, dealers and sales force will be motivated and end at customer satisfaction which leads to growth of the company.
Sales promotions activities will be promoted while advertising the product. Majorly it will be in print media which shows the various attractive gifts.
Objective of PR
- To know the mentality of the target audience.
- To make sure that customer relate the brand name with its personality
- To make sure that both internal and external public is satisfied and motivated.
Implementation of the program
- First of all location will be identified, here PR programme will be launched in the company and 10 different states where most of the potential customers are.
- Then list of all the brokers and investors will be made.
- After that state wise and nationally venues will be selected.
- Then invitations will be printed and distributed to selected audience.
- Then ad campaign will be run in those states taking in consideration the target market.
- Then PR programme will be promoted by all means.
- Media will be invited for coverage, so that public who are not involved directly can get the information.
- Final report of all the process will be prepared and will be submitted to higher authority.
- Follow ups will be taken from the entire data base collected through visitors.
Evaluation of PR programme
- It will be evaluated by feedback of the people.
- Change in mentality of the people.
- Survey can also be done.
MESURING COMMUNICATION EFFECTIVENESS
For measuring effectiveness of plan both pretesting and post testing tools and techniques will be used.
Pretesting tools and techniques
- Firstly before launching the campaign we will take opinion of the focus groups about the campaign. That what do they think that it will be successful or not or what additional things should be added.
- Another way is that we can interview individual after showing them the ad campaign and ask that what they have perceived after watching it.
- Company will also go to famous places or high foot ball area like auto fairs etc. where they can show ad in mobile van and ask the opinion.
- Company can launch ad in few areas and see the reaction.
- Last but not the least company can observe that how people react after watching the ad.
Post-testing tools and techniques
- Company will notice that is customer is able to recognize Aligator even some things are not present like name of the bike on in is not there.
- Recall test can be taken. After watching ads customer can be questioned that what are the things he can recall about the ad.
- Success or failure can also be measured by increase or decrease in the sales.
Aligator is already present internationally but this IMC is mainly of indianize Aligator which do not have much potential in international market. Moreover company is emphazing on Indian market so according to me this is not the right time to explore international market for the bike which is specially designed for India.
Company has made the campaign by following all the rules and regulations of the constitution. This campaign is not in favour or against any community, religion or competitor. No illegal activities are involved in it. For any legal issue, legal department of Aligator will be taking care.
Cite This Work
To export a reference to this article please select a referencing style below: